Saturday, September 02, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

Since we had a three day weekend coming up, the Prowler stayed in the yard after we returned from Oklahoma. I worked all week and tried to get home at a decent hour on Friday but even though I did manage to get home during the daylight hours we still had a delay getting on the road.

I had already hooked up the trailer when I noticed a soft tire on the pickup. Some soapy water verified that we had a nail in the right rear and we decided to swap it out before we got on the road. After the installation of a new tire and dinner at Pier 36 we were finally heading to Palacios at 8:15pm.

We arrived at the Serendipity RV Resort about 9:30PM and I was ready to wet a line.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I fished off the county pier and had a good time
feeding the hardheads and gafftop.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


On Saturday morning I decided to try my luck fishing at the RV park facilities.
This park is a combination marina and RV park.
I saw plenty of sailboats in addition to the fishing fleet.

The facilities include a lighted pier and a grassy area with a picnic table nearby.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I set up camp at on the grass and had some fun fishing around
some oyster beds and other structure near the shore.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tres Palacios Bay
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It was pretty relaxing just watching the birds
and feeling the cool bay breeze.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A pelican fishing from above.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Preening

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
These pin fish were hungry and good fighters.
They liked the dead shrimp!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also caught several mangrove snapper.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
They are a true gamefish and fight like a red.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I think they were after these baitfish that were hiding near the oysters.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I kept seeing a huge drum cruising through the oyster beds.
I think he was smart to the game.
He had probably been caught and released before.
I kept trying and finally caught this junior partner.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Black Drum
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After supper it was time to head to the 1st Street Citizens Pier.
I had heard that the sand trout and some specs
were caught the previous night
I was ready for some of that action.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I got to the pier at sundown and the trout were already getting active.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I caught this small sand trout on the first cast.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
There were some speckled trout
but they were a little too small to keep.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Every now and then a skipjack would take the bait and jump three or four times on the way in.
You can see in this picture that each board of the pier is dedicated to a local person.
I was able to work through almost two pounds of dead shrimp.
That is the best indicator of the fishing action on the pier.
I returned to the pier on Sunday evening
and had non-stop action for several hours.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I caught several more undersized specs fishing dead shrimp under a popping cork.

I decided to try some fluorescent shad rigged like a spec rig.
I was using the ultralight and quickly started catching two fish at a time!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All in all it was great fun even though I didn't get to keep any fish.

I'll be back!

2 comments:

Paul Batchelder said...

Looks like quite a mixed bag for the weekend work. One thing about the salt water fishing yau have plenty of "fish in the sea"!

all_aglow said...

Nice catches. One question, though...Are you from Brewer?