Saturday, September 16, 2006

Sleep In?

Most folks look forward to sleeping in on Saturday morning.

I've recently even stated that I need a "Do Nothing Day".

The problem is that I started thinking about fishing sometime Thursday and the thought did not leave my head for the rest of the week. I was able to leave work at a reasonable hour on Friday and came up with a plan.

I decided to get up early on Saturday and drive to Palacios to try the trout under the lights until morning. I really had fun over Labor Day and was eager to see if they were still willing.

I woke up plenty early (4AM) and headed out with a travel mug full of coffee and a thermos in the back seat for later.

The wind was blowing pretty stiff and there was only one other fisherman on the pier when I arrived. He told me that it had been slow and that he had only caught a few sand trout. I fished for an hour with various topwater and soft plastics until I finally smartened up and hooked on the small glow shad spec rig.

I caught 10 fish - all sand trout between 11 & 14 inches and six of them were caught two at a time.

I fished for an hour after daylight but once the sky lightened, the fish dispersed out from under the lights. I got to see some pelicans and enjoyed the sun coming up over the bay.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nobody Home
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Pelicans on the Pier

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sunrise

Since it was still early I decided to head back to Needville
and try the bass in Evans Lake before going home.

I saw an unusual sight on the road.
There were clouds of bugs that looked like little moths in the air
but whenI stopped and caught some they were more like gnats than anything else.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Clouds of Bugs

I did find a few bass in the Lake.
In fact on the first two casts I got hit and hooked
up on this nice healthy largemouth.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Bass like structure.
Even a few branches of a submerged tree can
provide the perfect holding place for an ambush.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I dropped the BGW just past this snaggy looking spot
and as the worm came next to the brush I got a hit!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Gotcha!

The weeds make pond fishing a challenge.
Bass will hide in thick cover and even if you get
a hook-up you still have to contend with the weeds.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Before

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
After

These fish are healthy and fat.
Here is a glamour shot:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I finally had to quit and leave some for later.
I did get some encouragement
before I left by this big mouthed fellow.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
" You are the Fish Master!"

1 comment:

Bawana said...

I can speak fish fluently and thats not what he's saying. It only sounds like Fish Master,