Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ken Lockwood Gorge II

What to do after a day's work in New Jersey?

What about wetting a line in some flowing water?

I was going to forgo this outing to make a quick trip back to Atlantic City to visit my friend and co-worker Mark who took an unexpected medical leave yesterday. After I spoke to him on the phone and was instructed to proceed with plan "A", I had no choice but to comply.

Get well soon buddy - this post is for you!

Last year during a similar trip to NJ several of us tried unsuccessfully to fish the KL Gorge a fine piece of trout water between Califon and High Bridge NJ.

This is the South Branch of the Raritan River and is C&R managed fly fishing only territory.

We got blown out by a rainstorm then but the sky has been cloudy but rain-free all day today.

I enlisted the services of my trusty companion and semi-professional photographer to capture the moment. (Photos by Tracy)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Ken Lockwood Gorge

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Surveying the Waters

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Preparing the Selected Fly

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tight Loops

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Mending

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Searching close to the rocks

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Low backcast to get under the trees

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"High Sticking" the pocket water

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A look back


I did not land a single fish but saw a few rising just as we were leaving. In all I saw about eight other fishermen in a 1/2 mile stretch and only saw one fish caught.

The water was low and clear and the fish were educated and spooky. I'm sure I was using what probably worked "yesterday" or "sometime last week".

One guy told me that I should plan to be there "tomorrow" after the rain when the water would be a little cloudy but not too high. Whatever the magic formula, day, or time, is didn't change the fact that I got to fish in a beautiful place with all the sounds and smells of a real trout stream. What could be better?

It's off to NY tomorrow and then Lake Champlain on Saturday. I'll bet I can tempt a yellow perch or a pumpkinseed to one of my hand-tied specials. Stay tuned!

No comments: