Saturday, December 29, 2007

Winter Redfish

Saturday's weather turned out partly cloudy with temps starting out in the high 40's and climbing to 60 by noon. The winds were light and variable but mostly N-NE at about 10mph.

I headed back to McNab to see if I could find some reds that were hungry for some Gulp shrimp or one of a variety of soft plastics or hard baits.

I launched at 10am and the tide was low again.

On my paddle to the lake I was greeted by several species of migratory birds.

Photobucket

The marsh is a pretty place anytime but today it really caught my eye with the dark sky and the sun peeking out from time to time.

Photobucket

I often hear feral hogs rooting around inside the marsh and I finally got my eyes on some.

Photobucket




I didn't fool around exploring today but instead headed straight for the lake.

I saw plenty of other fishermen along the way.

Photobucket
Little Blue Heron

Photobucket
Launch!

My first red was a little small but scrappy.
I caught him on a gold flake and chartreuse swim bait.

Photobucket

My first keeper came about 30 minutes later when I found some working fish.

Photobucket
The Net Comes in Handy

Photobucket
Keeper #2

Photobucket
Smile for the Camera

Photobucket
Played Out

Photobucket
Watching for Bait

Photobucket
This guy went for the chartreuse Catch Jr.

Photobucket
Big Boy

Photobucket
Blue Tail

Photobucket
Multi Spot



Catch n Release

Photobucket
This crab grabbed the Catch Jr. and hung on.

Photobucket
Crab cakes anyone?

Photobucket
Snow Geese

Photobucket
Picking at the Oyster Reef

Photobucket
Full Tankwell

Photobucket
The Arsenal

Photobucket
Full Stringer


I had a full stringer by 12:30pm but kept fishing until 3pm. I ended up with a double limit - 6 reds in the slot and the rat. I won't count the crab...

I kept two 24" and one 26" fish and released a 22", a 25" and a 27" to fight another day. This was by far the most productive day I've spent at McNab and needless to say my arms were tired from fighting fish and paddling.

I think the spot I found today could classify as a "Honey Hole".

What do you think?

2 comments:

Bawana said...

Nice post John and thanks for the great pictures and video. It can be called the "honey hole" if it can produce time after time.

Paul Batchelder said...

I am ready for some of that! I breaks my heart to see you have put those keepers back....