Saturday, December 22, 2007

Holiday Night Fishing

With another cold front due to arrive in the Houston area this morning, I decided that if I was going to get to fish it would be on the pier sometime between Friday evening and daylight.

I opted for the late shift and got to bed early enough to grab a few hours of shut-eye before heading to Palacios. The sky was clear - no fog - and there was virtually no traffic on the roads. The wind had settled down in Needville, but when I arrived in P-town there was still a good breeze blowing that would surely be a factor for the fishing.

The 1st Street pier was all but empty as the last of the early shift were leaving as I pulled up. "No luck." they all said. Well that may be true for you but.....

I started out fishing the tiny double shad rig and found some sandies on the pier and under the light at the Baptist Encampment. After becoming convinced that I had thoroughly covered the water with the shad, I switched to the Lil Speck Killer.

The specks seemed to go for this slightly bigger bait and they wanted it s-l-o-w.

I had more hits on the pink tail than ever before. In all I caught about 40 sand trout and 10 specks. The biggest one was barely legal so back he went.

Here are some pictures and video of the trip.






I didn't bring home any fish but I had a great time anyway.

2 comments:

Bawana said...

Thats why they call it the graveyard shift! Keep the fish slime off that video camera and keep shooting we enjoyed seeing how it looked .

Paul Batchelder said...

Looks like you and the heron are the only ones out there!