Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weather Change

The nice weather we have been enjoying during the middle of the week changed to cold and windy on Friday. Tracy and I headed to PPRV #7 and I had high hopes of finding some hungry trout in the river.

The evening sun filtering through the clouds provided a nice backdrop for the evening. I set out the light and tried every trick in the book but there seemed to be nothing in the river that wanted what was on my hook - dead or alive!

I would head to McNab in the morning for a solo paddle and see if I could scare up a redfish or two.

This night heron was "hunkered down" on the oyster reef..

The clouds were still there in the morning and the temperature had actually risen since I gave up fishing in the river. This is the scene from the McNab launch about 8AM.

I found this little guy at the first corner. The 3" Sugar Spice Glow Gulp shrimp was just what he wanted for breakfast.

The small reds were definitely in the channel. I caught several on the way in to the lake.

This guy was just a little too short for the stringer.


Another nice red. Notice that the smaller ones are almost silver. They do have a pretty blue tail!

The presence of these small fish is a good sign that there will be lots of slot reds this year!

I never found the fish in the lake. I paddled all around and kept company with these white pelicans for most of the time.

I got a little close for comfort on the way out and they took flight.

The black wing tips are hidden when they are sitting on the water but clearly visible here.

On the way out, I was fishing with a double rig and got a double!

"Hey - put me back in the water! What do you think I am anyway?"

Snowy Egret on the oysters. This may be the money shot of the day.

"Ole Double Spot" - caught on the way out.


The last catch of the day. In all, I caught about a dozen reds.


I'll be looking for you when you grow a couple more inches.



After lunch, Tracy joined me for some river fishing. She had been a little under the weather but there's nothing like fishing to make you feel better.

Once again, she showed me that I'm not the only one catching reds today.

Here is #2. The lady had the hot hand this afternoon.

Here is my catch of the day. You have to take what you can get!

We made it back home to get ready for church in the morning. It was a short trip but full of fun and memorable times. Each day we are given should be enjoyed. We have a lot to be thankful for.

No comments: