Sunday, January 14, 2007

Before the Storm

The weather is about to change.

There is a major cold snap on the way and it may contain freezing rain, sleet, or both.

Matt called on Friday and said they were closing down the University and that he was taking refuge with some friends in Stillwater. OKC was expecting major power outages and classes were canceled. The governor declared a state of emergency on Saturday. What should we do?

I know - let's go fishing! By the way, that seems to be my standard answer for everything these days.

Our weather was still mild but it was obvious as I headed for Evans Lake after lunch that things were unsettled at best.

The local livestock were busy filling up the tank.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Cattle Diversity

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Pose for the Camera


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Good Confirmation


The geese were flying overhead, I jumped a covey of Bobwhite quail, and there were plenty of hawks around like this one.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I decided to break out the fly rod and brush up on my casting skills. The wind was fairly calm and other than the ocasional drizzle it was pretty pleasant - cloudy and 60 degrees.

I tied on a mini-muddler and began casting along the shore of the cove.

My first fish didn't set any records but confirmed the health of the pond.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's always a good sign to see juvenile fish. It won't be long untill this guy is bending the rod.

I worked my way around into the shallow end closest to the house and spooked a bass that was all but crawling up on the shore. These guys like to hang out on the very edge of the pond trying to ambush minnows.

I was in a pretty good position and started casting toward the spot where I last saw the fish and was rewarded with a twitch. I counted to ten and lifted the rod tip to feel the weight of a fish and set the hook. I was in for a nice ride as I had a 17" largemouth on a 5-weight rod. YeeeeHAwww

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Don't let up!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The mini-muddler got a good bite

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Healthy Fish

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I fished around the remainder of the shoreline with the fly rod until I broke off the mini-muddler on some submurged branches and decided to switch tactics.

Armed with a spinning rod, 6lb mono, and a BGW on an Eagle Claw snelled hook, I once again began to circle the pond.

I was rewarded with some nice fish all in the 1-2 lb range.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
BGW to the Rescue

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Safety Check before Release

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Off You Go

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fat Boy

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hand Full of Fish

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Let My People Go!



Not a bad way to spend the afternoon. We have a Chili & Stew fellowship after evening services tonight. Maybe I'll have to break out a recipe for fish chowder!

2 comments:

Bawana said...

Looks like a good time was had and everyone went home happy! Great pictures you are the Master of the one arm close-up, just remember when you go to the church dinner people don't like to have their picture taken that way.I have your recipie!

Paul Batchelder said...

I heard that most of the people at church stay arm's lenght from John too! Where were all those bass when We were there? This is a disturbing trend....I show up and fish go and hide!