Sunday, January 27, 2008

Weekend Bass

This post is not titled correctly.

Sunday is technically not the weekend but is the beginning of the week. It is a day of worship and devotion to God and is also a day of rest.

After two weeks away I was ready for some meditation and rest near some water.

Saturday was supposed to be a little warmer and dryer than the week had been and I headed over to Evans Lake for a couple of hours in the evening to check on the condition of the bass.

Photobucket
"Green Trout"

Photobucket
Future of the Lake

Photobucket
The BGW Strikes Again!

Photobucket
Bass in the Grass


I caught a few fish on the BGW using 20lb test Fireline on a new addition to the toolbox- a Shimano Sonora 4000 mounted on my 7ft TTF medium-light spinning rod.

I bought this reel for my next redfish battle as it holds almost twice the line as the 1500 series reel I have been using and has a more substantial drag. It is a forged aluminum reel with 2 ball bearings but is a real bargain at just under $40. With proper care this reel should last a long while and will surely be more reliable than the inexpensive spinning reels I've been using.

I did miss a couple of fish and lost a couple of rigs to poor knot strength. I'm still trying to find the best way to attach a 6ft mono or fluorocarbon leader to the superline. So far I've tried the double uni-knot and the improved albright knot but I'm not completely satisfied with either.

Photobucket
Pewter Skies

Today (Sunday) was promising as well with heavy fog but clear skies above and a prediction of temps in the 70's.

We left the house about 8AM for Bible class & worship and ate lunch at Chili's after services so by the time I was ready to fish it was after 1PM. There was still some lingering fog that had not yet burned off and the temp had only come up to the mid 50s.

I decided at the last minute to switch back to the smaller reel and to fish three baits this afternoon - the BGW (of course), the BWG on a 1/4 oz lead head jig, and in expectation of some white bass action in the near future, a chartreuse curly tail grub on a 1/8 oz lead head jig.

Photobucket

The chartreuse took center stage with this first chunky bass.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I switched to the BWG and picked up a few smaller fish then it was on to the the tried and true Big Green Worm.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This guy had an old injury that was healed up on his side but was otherwise healthy and full of pep.

Mr. Mark Evans joined me shortly after I caught that fish which had been the biggest one of the day until I got hooked into this big girl.

Photobucket
Big Mama

Photobucket
Pre-Spawn Bass

Photobucket
Smile for the Birdie

Photobucket
Peaceful Waters


Thanks Mark for becoming the on-the-spot photographer and for videoing the release:


1 comment:

Bawana said...

Nice fish John, I think the Polamar Knot should do the trick on those super lines that your using. The new rod and reel sounds good, time to test it on redfish before the White Storm breaks loose!