Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Daniels Creek Day 2

It had to be done and I was just the man to do it!

Daniels creek was calling my name all day and after finishing up the last meeting of the day I headed out from Salt Lake City to Heber City. It took me 30 minutes to get from the office to Interstate 80 (rush hour) but I finally got moving and arrived at the pull out at about 7PM - 1.5 hours total drive time. There was the big decision to consider,(fly rod or ultralite?) but brother Paul helped me out over the phone. In the words of his eldest son - "some streams are fly fishing streams and some are made for ultralight spinning gear".

Daniels Creek is definitely the latter.

As I eased down into the first hole, I was surprised to see a buck in velvet standing in the creek. He didn't see or hear me at first (you really have to sneak up on these fish) and I even got a shot of him through the trees before he headed out.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I tried the white roostertail spinner and once again it proved to be just what the Dr. ordered for this fat rainbow.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



I picked up a nice cutt in the next pool.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When I arrived at "the spot" I decided to try a white wooly bugger that I tied for a situation like this. If I was going to use a spinning rod at least I could use a hand-tied fly!

As I hoped, there was a nice cutt just waiting for what I was offering.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I had a lot of fun and caught a total of ten fat cutthroats.

Just before dark I caught the most colorful fish of the evening.

Look at the gill plates on this one:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This beauty was almost as showy as a brook trout!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I hated to leave but two hours of good fishing made it worth the drive.

2 comments:

Damien said...

Hello. Found your site by searching for fly fishing gear. So many sites have little new info on fly fishing gear, but yours seems to be quite helpful. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I think it'll be relevant enough to be helpful. Thanks for having such a great site up.

Justin said...

Hi. Came accross this site today - trout fishing. I believe it's new and I was amazed by the pics in the pdf they're giving away, so I'm looking for recommendations from someone who knows, before I decide on anything from them.